Known for its harbor attractions, diverse architecture, beach life, nightlife, culture, and more, Sydney is one of Australia’s top tourist destinations.
Whether you’re looking for outdoor adventure or cosmopolitan culture, Sydney has a ton of fun things to do for every type of traveler.
Explore the diverse landscape from the beaches to the mountains on a guided day tour, bike tour, harbor cruise, and more. From a hop-on hop-off harbor cruise to a hop-on hop-off Blue Mountain explorer bus, Sydney is best explored with an adventurous mindset.
What are some popular attractions to visit?
- Hop-On Hop-Off Big Bus Sydney and Bondi: 1-Day Classic Tour – A must-do attraction for first-time visitors, this comprehensive guided tour is the perfect introduction to Sydney’s layout, culture, and top attractions. Enjoy the flexibility to hop on or off any of the 20+ included stops along the way.
- The Sydney Opera House Tour – go on a guided walking tour of this famous concert venue and Sydney Harbour landmark—an iconic experience.
- Magistic Cruisemart (2 HRS) Harbour Sightseeing Cruise – cruise along the Sydney Harbour in a luxury Australian-built catamaran and float by all the major sites and attractions for sweeping views of the city skyline on a narrated cruise around the harbor.
- Sydney Jet – Thrill Ride – zip around the harbor on a jet boat excursion/thrill ride experience at speeds of up to 50 mph. Hold on—your captain will incorporate stunts as they narrate the speedy tour with fun facts and history.
- WILD LIFE Sydney Zoo – with a special focus on Australia-native animals and wildlife, this urban zoo features an impressive variety of animals with 10 habitat zones. Check the schedule when you arrive to catch their informative and fun zoo keeper talks, animals feedings, and more throughout the day.
These are just a few. Want more fun ideas for things to do in Sydney? Head over here for more Sydney attractions to explore during your trip.
How long are you visiting?
Whether you’re visiting Sydney for just a few days or an entire week, we’ve put together sample itineraries highlighting all the most popular things to do in the city.
From top-rated tours to the most iconic landmarks, these itineraries give you the best Sydney experience based on the time you have in the city.
- 1 day in Sydney – sample itinerary
- 2 days in Sydney – sample itinerary
- 3 days in Sydney – sample itinerary
- 7 days in Sydney – sample itinerary
Who are you visiting with?
No matter who you’re traveling with, there are a ton of fun things to do in Sydney, particularly for families.
We’ve put together a list of top attractions and activities geared towards young kids to help you plan your family vacation.
What’s the best way to get around Sydney?
With lots of transportation options, getting around Sydney is easy. Most major attractions and things to do in Sydney are centrally located and easily walkable from one to another – plus, Sydney is known for having a great public transportation system and lots of taxi/rideshare options.
Check out our comprehensive (yet brief!) guide to getting around Sydney for tourists.
What parts of Sydney are you visiting?
We highlighted a handful of the top attractions and places to see in popular Sydney neighborhoods worth exploring.
What types of attractions do you like to do?
Whether you like to be active while you explore or prefer to sit back and be chauffeured to all the top sights, we put together some guides geared toward every type of traveler.
- The Best Guided Sydney Sightseeing Tours
- Sydney Cruises and Outdoor Activities
- Famous Sydney Landmarks and Most Instagrammable Places
Hop-On Hop-Off Bus
A hop-on, hop-off sightseeing bus tour, like Big Bus Sydney, is a great way to get acquainted with the city and visit popular attractions. Tours follow a specific route and time schedule, so plan accordingly if you have timed tickets or reservations.
Sydney Public Transportation is easy to use and serves lots of popular areas within Sydney and beyond. The public transportation network consists of trains, buses, ferries, and light rail.
Fare can be purchased and stored on Opal Cards. Trip fare is calculated on various factors, including how far you travel, so you’ll need to tap your Opal Card upon exiting whatever mode of public transit you’re using.
Tip: download the Moovit mobile app (free) or the TripView App for helpful trip planning, real-time public transportation updates, service timetables, and more.
Taxis & Rideshares
Taxis are one of the easiest ways to get around the city and can be easily found throughout the city, especially at popular tourist destinations such as hotels, attractions, and train stations. Rideshare services such as Uber are a popular alternative to taxis are widely available to order via your mobile device.
There are lots of car rental options in Sydney (referred to as ‘car hires’ by the locals). Remember: Australians drive on the left side of the road and most cars have the steering wheel on the right side.
Where to Eat?
- Harbour Bar and Kitchen – one of the most popular restaurants in Sydney, this upscale-barbecue spot offers classic BBQ dishes made with the best quality ingredients. include Meal at Harbour Bar and Kitchen
- Café Sydney – take advantage of this establishment’s rooftop dining atmosphere and enjoy sweeping views of Sydney Harbour while dining on classic, Australian dishes with a modern twist.
- Sydney Cove Oyster Bar – this informal waterside destination features an approachable-yet-sophisticated menu with a variety of regional seafood dishes, small bites, surf and turf, and more.
Easy Related Posts
Top Museums in Sydney to Visit During Your Trip
Explore the history of Australia's aboriginals, peruse art from prehistoric times to today, and learn ...read more
5 of the Best Beaches to Visit in Sydney
Check out 5 of the best Sydney beaches for locals and visitors alike. From great ...read more
Visiting Sydney on a Budget – How to Save on Your Vacation
Despite its reputation for being one of the most expensive cities to visit in the ...read more
Things to Do in Sydney in Spring 2018 - Attractions, Activities & More
Looking for things to do in Sydney in spring? Check out these seasonal events and ...read more